The little media viewer with the funny name: Irfanview. I don’t know how I could get by without this program. I use it every single day and some days I uses it probably a over a hundred times.
IrfranView is a freeware media viewer, and is it fast! When I started using it years ago, it was just for viewing images. It would do some manipulation of image files, but nothing fancy. Stuff like crop, rotate, things like that. The reason I started using it was it’s sheer speed in opening even the largest image files. I had some files that were just huge (very high-res) and with the computer I had at the time, it took forever to open them with Windows’ default viewer or most of the other viewers out there.
Over the years, the programmer has expanded IrfanView’s capabilities immensely, all the while keeping it’s file loading time as fast as ever. He’s added so much to the program, that it’s become more than just a simple image viewer. It’s capable of opening and playing video & audio, drawing on images, effects, batch conversion (super fast, easy and with lots of neat options), and it even includes a side thumbnailing program now. Just to show you how ahead of the curve the programmer and IrfanView are, take a look at some of its history:
- IrfanView was the first Windows graphic viewer WORLDWIDE with Multiple (animated) GIF support.
- One of the first graphic viewers WORLDWIDE with Multipage TIF support.
- The first graphic viewer WORLDWIDE with Multiple ICO support.
And check out some of the features in the current version:
- Many supported file formats (click here the list of formats)
- Multi language support
- Thumbnail/preview option
- Paint option – to draw lines, circles, arrows, straighten image etc.
- Toolbar skins option
- Slideshow (save slideshow as EXE/SCR or burn it to CD)
- Show EXIF/IPTC/Comment text in Slideshow/Fullscreen etc.
- Support for Adobe Photoshop Filters
- Fast directory view (moving through directory)
- Batch conversion (with image processing)
- Multipage TIF editing
- File search
- Email option
- Multimedia player
- Print option
- Support for embedded color profiles in JPG/TIF
- Change color depth
- Scan (batch scan) support
- IPTC editing
- Effects (Sharpen, Blur, Adobe 8BF, Filter Factory, Filters Unlimited, etc.)
- Extract icons from EXE/DLL/ICLs
- Lossless JPG rotation
- Many hotkeys
- Many command line options
- Many PlugIns
- Only one EXE-File, no DLLs, no Shareware messages like “I Agree” or “Evaluation expired”
- No registry changes without user action/permission!
I can’t rave enough about this program. If you haven’t ever used it, visit the official site: http://www.irfanview.com, bookmark it, download, install and run the program. You can thank me later. 🙂
And don’t forget to show the programmer some appreciation, by giving him a donation. One note on the license, if you want to use this commercially (say at work, where using the IrfanView helps to create profit) , you’ll need to register it. Do it. It’s inexpensive and it’s the right thing to do.